It’s the end of the day, you’re starved but don’t want to give in to temptation. No, put down the burger. You’re about to make something equally as savory with a lot less guilt.
It’ll get done faster than takeout will be delivered too, I promise.
This recipe cheats a little, using pre-baked tofu, but the little shortcut saves a lot of (drying) time rather than seasoning and preparing your own tofu. There’s no oil in this recipe, so everything you’re cooking with, you’re eating, making counting calories practically a hard science.
Want to be a little extra healthy? Swap in brown rice, quinoa or save the 200 calories and have yourself some riced cauliflower or shirataki noodles instead!
Savory Tofu Donburi
Cook time: 15 minutes Yield: 1 servings Calories: 453 per serving
- 3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 3.5 oz. Trader Joe’s Sriracha Flavored Baked Tofu
- 20 fresh snow peas
- 1 cup rice, plainly cooked
For the mushroom sauce:
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- Bring salted pot of water to boil, add snow peas. Boil 1-2 minutes, drain and rinse with cold water.
- In same pot, heat mushrooms and pour sauce mixture over mushrooms. Saute 3-5 minutes, or until tender.
- Slice chilled or room temperature tofu into 1/4 inch-thick slices, arrange on bed of rice.
- Add snow peas and mushrooms.